CAROL THORNS (SAMA nominee)
Carol Thorns, a Cum Laude Bachelor of Music graduate from Rhodes University in South Africa, is an industry pioneer of the electric string genre. Her debut solo cello album ‘Fireflies In The Rain’ was nominated Best Instrumental Album 2010 at the South African Music Awards.
She performs as a soloist in The Bubble (Cellosphere) and with her popular fusion band CODA Africa, which blends electric strings with jazz sax, African vocals and a house DJ. She has shared the stage with many of South Africa’s top musicians including Louise Carver, Arno Carstens and the Soweto String Quartet.
In 2013 Carol performed her original cello music in 9 different countries. In 2014 her Afro-Electro group was nominated for an All Africa Music Award for the most promising Artiste in Africa 2014.
Her acclaimed production, Red Cello Electrified, was awarded a 4 star rating at the Edinburgh Fringe (the largest arts festival in the world), successfully competing with 2340 other fringe events.
ON OFFER (www.CarolThorns.co.za)
- Solo Electric Cello:A stylish and elegant performance that has featured at SA’s top events
- With Visualist.The addition of film and visual effects brings the music to life and creates a mesmerizing performance. This collaboration is at the cutting-edge of multi-media performance trends world-wide.
- Duo with Louise Carver:SA’s top singer/song-writer Louise Carver joins forces with electric cellist Carol Thorns for an entertainment offering of impeccable quality and style
- The Bubble / Cellosphere: The perfect marriage of music, architecture and light
- Rosanthorn Cello Trio: World-first all female electric cello ensemble
Thorns has immense talent
A deep affinity with nature and Landscapes comes through in the music
The combination of her solo performance, video, lights and music can be quite mesmerising